Friday, March 27, 2009

Today...

Today was a very difficult day, not just for me, but for the bay area as a whole. Today four brave Oakland police officers were laid to rest...slain in the streets by someone who didn't want to face justice. As I sit here I find it hard to write all of this but it has to be said. These men were amazing men, they went to work everyday knowing it could be their last, in a city that hates the police, but they loved their job. As I watched clips of the funeral I cried every time...22,000 people came to pay their respects and to say goodbye; 15,000 police officers from around the country and the world. That is amazing to me...as a wife of a police officer, this is my worst nightmare. It's what keeps me awake at night, and makes me hold my son and husband as close as I can. As much as it terrifies me, I am proud that my husband is a police officer...he goes everyday to protect our family and every other family who lives in our area. He is an amazing man, not many are willing to go to such lengths for others...and yet he does. My heart breaks for the families of these officers, for the wives and their babies; but I know that at the same time through all of their heart break, they are PROUD. They have every right to be...their husbands made the ulitmate sacrifice to protect the lives of complete strangers. They have been called heroes, and rightfully so...their names will forever be remembered for their last and greatest sacrifice.

There is one man, a good samaritan who needs to be acknowledged as well. For those who haven't heard, when he heard the shots, ran towards them not away. He reached one of the two downed officers and without reservation, took off his coat and applied it to his head and began doing CPR. How selfless he is to go into such a situation without hesitating to try to save their lives. He didn't know where the shots were coming from, and yet he still ran to their aide. The Oakland police recognized him as a hero as well...and I agree wholeheartedly, and hope that more people commend him for his bravery.

Please, keep these officers and their families in your thoughts and prayers; and say a prayer for all the men and women who put on their uniforms and go out to protect us each and everyday.

No comments: